The probability of having a gas leak in your house is unlikely, but it's not impossible. Although we at True Natural Gas have put the highest safeguards in place for gas safety, if a gas leak happens, here's what you need to know.
What Does Natural Gas Smell Like?
Natural gas by itself is odorless and tasteless. However, your gas provider adds mercaptan, an odorant additive, to alert you of leaks. Mercaptan has a distinct sulfur-like odor reminiscent of rotten eggs, so you're sure to smell it.
Other Signs of a Gas Leak
Don't rely on your nose alone in determining whether you have a gas leak or not. Look for these telltale signs:
- A hissing or whistling sound
- Wilting plants near the pipeline
- An exposed pipeline
- Continuous bubbling in your water source
- A white cloud or white dust near the pipeline
In addition to these, you can also experience physical symptoms like:
- Breathing difficulties
- Chest pains
- Pale skin or following blistering contact with the gas
- Ringing ears
What to Do in Case You Smell Gas
If you smell gas, immediately evacuate the building and call Atlanta Gas Light or the fire department.
- Inside Metro Atlanta: 770-907-4231
- Outside Metro Atlanta: 1-877-427-4321
If you suspect a gas leak, DON'T:
- Try to locate the leak yourself
- Use a phone inside your home
- Turn lights or appliances on or off
- Use lighters or matches
- Close the windows and doors
When is it Safe to Go Back to the House?
A certified inspector will usually inspect the gas leak using an adjusted electronic gas analyzer. It would help if you only went back to your house once they officially notified you it's safe to do so. When you return home, open your windows and doors to air out your house for any residual gas.
At True Natural Gas, Your Safety is our First Priority
At True Natural Gas, your safety is our top priority. We're continuously working to ensure you get the safest, top-quality, and best priced natural gas in the state that we could possibly offer. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact us.